I'd like to run MainBoss Basic on a Novell network. Do you have any tips?
MainBoss has been used successfully on many different networks, but in general, we cannot offer suggestions for running MainBoss under any specific network. There are just too many variables; for advice on configuration, you should talk to whoever supplied your network software.
We can however note the following:
- There must be no caching on the MainBoss database files. (Caching is permissible on the program files.)
- Database files should not be READONLY, and in general, users should have both read and write permissions on the database files. (Depending on user permissions set with MainBoss, some users may not need read and/or write permissions on some files. For example, if a particular MainBoss user is not authorized to create purchase orders, that user does need write permission on the database file containing purchase orders.)
- The network must offer adequate transmission speed.
While we don't want to give any definitive recommendations for network configuration, we might note that one of our customers is successfully using the following to run MainBoss under Novell:
- NetWare 6 Support Pack 5
- Novell eDirectory 8.6.2
- Novell ZENworks 3.2 sp3.2
- Windows 2000 Professional SP4 workstation
- Installed Mainboss to C:\program files\mainboss\2.9
- Data Files installed to a mapped network drive (L:\mainboss).
- File access rights rwecmf given to the data folder (L:\mainboss).
- The Workstation Client is Novell 4.90 SP2. Microsoft Client (for Windows or Netware) is not installed.